Enjoy a Happy & Healthy Retirement
Enjoy a Happy & Healthy Retirement | Healthy Living | RMF
Retirement is a new beginning — an opportunity to ditch the nine-to-five routine and finally put all your long-term plans into motion.
What does an enjoyable retirement mean to you? Chances are, health and happiness are top of mind. These healthy retirement tips and retirement activities will help boost your mood and well-being to make the most of your post-working years.
- Be social. If you’re wondering how to enjoy retirement to the fullest, you need people to share it with. Friendships are foundational to health, happiness and longevity, too. Recent research suggests that loneliness in older people may increase the chance of premature death by 14%. If you’re lacking social connections, reconnect with old friends, join a club, get a part-time job or adopt a dog to give yourself more opportunities to meet like-minded people.
- Get your steps in. To ensure you’re getting the exercise you need, make it fun. Instead of walking on a treadmill, take your workout outside and stroll through the park or on the beach. Bring along a friend or listen to your favorite music. If walking isn’t your thing, look for classes at your local gym or community center. You may even find options geared specifically toward older adults.
- Volunteer. Volunteering can be a great way to spend your free time, while making a difference in the lives of others. It also provides several benefits to you — reducing isolation, strengthening ties to the community and keeping your body and mind active. Visit Volunteer Match to look for ways to get involved in your area.
- Make travel dreams a reality. Have a case of wanderlust? One of the greatest perks in retirement is having the time to cross vacations off your bucket list. Packing your bags and exiting your daily routine can also be a great stress-reliever, supporting both your mental and physical health. Whether the purpose is seeing family, a romantic getaway or a summer vacation, keep these tips in mind for a safe and healthy trip.
- Put down the remote. Current research suggests that people who watch an excessive amount of TV are generally unhappier than people who watch less. In some cases, it may be a substitute for companionship, adding to increased loneliness and social isolation. Binge watching also contributes to a sedentary lifestyle, which is linked to heart disease, diabetes and obesity. Next time you reach for the remote, remember: everything in moderation.
- Stick to your retirement budget. No matter your stage in life, money can cause undue stress. Do you have enough income to maintain your lifestyle, plus enjoy all the extras? A retirement calculator can help estimate your financial needs, so you can create and follow a realistic budget.
If you’re lacking in funds during your retirement years, a reverse mortgage can be a valuable financial tool. Designed for homeowners age 62 and older, a reverse mortgage allows you to leverage the equity you’ve built up in your home, while continuing to live in it and maintain ownership. You can receive the money as a lump sum, a monthly payment or a line of credit that’s there if and when you need it.* Unlike a traditional loan, reverse mortgages don’t require monthly payments. You can pay as little or as much as you want — when you want. But you’re still responsible for property taxes and homeowners insurance, as well as keeping up with basic home maintenance. Download our free guide to learn how a reverse mortgage can help you achieve your retirement goals.
How much is a comfortable retirement worth?
When you’re with the people you care about, doing the retirement activities that you find meaningful, you’re on your way to a happy and healthy future. But you also need the funds to make those experiences possible. Reverse Mortgage Funding (RMF) can answer your questions and help decide if a reverse mortgage is the best option for you. To learn more, call RMF today at (888) 277-1567 to schedule a free, in-person appointment with a loan specialist in your area.
This content is sponsored by RMF, one of the nation’s leading reverse mortgage lenders. We are dedicated to helping older Americans retire more freely, in the comfort of their own homes. As a result of our commitment to providing an extraordinary and positive customer experience, we have earned a 98% customer satisfaction rating; a 4.6-star / Excellent score on Trustpilot; 4.8 out of 5 stars on LendingTree; and an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. Call 888-277-1567 to speak with a licensed reverse mortgage specialist to learn about our retirement financing products and solutions.
* Borrowers who elect a fixed rate loan will receive a single disbursement lump sum payment. Other payment options are available only for adjustable rate mortgages.
SEE WHAT FUNDS YOU MAY HAVE AVAILABLE
If you have equity in your home and believe you meet the eligibility requirements, a HECM may be the option that could help you retire smart.